Monday, August 31, 2015

There are bumps on the road to missionary work, but the pioneers did just fine...


Random thoughts:

A member walks into the Vitoria chapel with tattoos and a t-shirt while we were having district meeting and asks where to do family history?  I later found out that he was a member.  The gospel does change people's lives.
Mom I'm good on scripture pens, but I would like some more regular writing pens whenever the next package comes, because too many people take my pens and never give them back.

A member received his mission call to Malaga!!! He will be leaving in November.  His name is Giovanni and he is from Peru!

More lentil soup with rice!

A less-active whom we received as a reference from some elders from Bilbao brought a friend to church and they came to church on Sunday!  Miracles!

We did visits with bishop on Friday because he is retired and had nothing to do so he came and helped us with some visits.  Plus because we told him we were busy on Wednesday and Thursday because he called us on those days to see if he could come tag along.

I had some real Spanish licorice.  Black licorice, yuck, but still it's SPANISH!

We were doing our informe de pregeso, a paper we do for ward council, and this kid was just screaming his head off at the computer place.  The man was doing nothing to teach this kid manners or calm him down.  My brain cells thanked me as we walked out of there, a half hour
later...

We got to clean the church on sat.  It was a great privilege to do.  I can't wait to do that more when I come home.

Long day in the streets this week.  Nothing much but contacting and knocking doors.

Please send electric hand held fan, the one you buy for a baseball game. I'm dying here in the heat, but now the temp is going down.

Man in car with a megaphone announcing a circus in town blowing his music off in the streets.  Turn it off!

I gave my first…just before sacrament meeting, councilor looking for a missionary to give a talk, because someone else couldn't give a talk, talk.  Luckily I was prepared with my prepared talk that I wrote just so I could be prepared for just a case when just before sacrament meeting a councilor is looking for a missionary to give a talk because someone else couldn't give a talk, talk. Scout motto, be prepared!  It was really good.  I spoke on the Book of Mormon.  The language was given to me by the Holy Ghost, and as I stood up and walked from the back of the chapel to the mike, everyone started to laugh, especially since the person before me was short and I had to raise the mike.

Small girl comes up to me and says "are you white?"  The answer was " yes...." :(

Questions:
Because I'm prepping for lessons in September, see below

QUESTIONS:  do you have any insights about living in the world but not of the world?: do not smoke and drink, it is not cool.  Keeping the commandments are cool.
any insights on why we fast?:  because we ask for blessings when we have nowhere else to turn too, and we demonstrate our faith to the Lord.
  any insights on being honest.:  when you lie you do not go to heaven, so be honest and the Lord will bless you.
did the exchange student contact you?: yes, she contacted us on the bus remember....but also this morning she called us and said that she was on vacation and won't come back for 2 weeks.
how are your Gs?  Will you be needing a new pair or two in a Christmas package?: not white, I can tell you that, these washers don't clean too well. But no I think I will be good, thank you.

Well family this week was been a challenging one.  Bumps on the road to missionary work, but the pioneers did just fine without.  All how make their journey on the road to missionary work whether they be full-time missionaries or members who give missionary service to those who
"hunger and thirst after righteousness" will find struggles and challenges along the way.  Our experience in mortality is to strengthen our trust in God who will deliver us out of bondage, so to speak.  We were in a visit last week and I believe it was with an investigator or a member, I can't quite remember, but the problem was with marriage and financial problems in the home.  Many are struggling to make ends meet and find the strength to move on.  Then a scripture came to my mind, mosiah 24:9-16. The part that stuck out to me though was the fact that the Lord made a promise that it will only be God that will deliver us out of bondage, or in other words, our problems in mortality. 

"14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions." Combined with mosiah 21:5,6-8,11-12.
"5 And now the afflictions of the Nephites were great, and there was no way that they could deliver themselves out of their hands, for the Lamanites had surrounded them on every side."
"6 And it came to pass that the people began to murmur with the king because of their afflictions; and they began to be desirous to go against them to battle. And they did afflict the king sorely with their complaints; therefore he granted unto them that they should do according to their desires.
7 And they gathered themselves together again, and put on their armor, and went forth against the Lamanites to drive them out of their land.
8 And it came to pass that the Lamanites did beat them, and drove them
back, and slew many of them."
"11 And it came to pass that their continual cries did stir up the remainder of the people of Limhi to anger against the Lamanites; and they went again to battle, but they were driven back again, suffering much loss.
12 Yea, they went again even the third time, and suffered in the like manner; and those that were not slain returned again to the city of Nephi."

Two different stories, with different endings and different results but my point is that we try to fix our own problems with our own strength and power, but in reality it is by divine help.  There is power in becoming humble and asking for help from priesthood leaders and
kneeling before God in prayer.  I know this first hand.  I try to do all I can to learn a language, and master skills of missionary work, like fighting the lamanites with my own hands ,but just being kicked back to where I first began.  It isn't until we pray, and wait, and act on the impressions we receive do we find answers to questions and burdens are lifted off our backs.  This is the Lord’s church and we can receive divine help in all things.  Knowledge I prayerfully know in the savior’s name, amen.
Con amor
 Élder Gonzalez

sent from iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment